Information about Agricultural Permits, Commercial Pest Control, and Applicator Tests

Production Agriculture Permits:  All growers that sell their agricultural products must obtain a permit through our office prior to spraying their crops with any kind of pesticide.  There are two permits issued by our office.  An Operator Identification Number and a Restricted Materials Permit.           

Operator Identification Number: is a certificate that will allow growers to purchase and apply unrestricted pesticides. 

Restricted Materials Permit: is a permit that allows growers to purchase and apply unrestricted pesticides and California Restricted Materials. 
- In order to obtain a restricted materials permit, the grower must be a certified private applicator or a certified commercial applicator. 

Certified Private Applicator:  To become a certified applicator, a grower must pass an exam given by our office.  Once a grower or his / her representative is either a certified applicator or a commercial applicator (a commercial applicator license from the Department of Pesticide Regulation with category D would qualify), they are qualified to train any employees that will be handling pesticides, and will be allowed to purchase and apply California Restricted Materials. 

Certified Private Applicator Test:  If you are involved in production agriculture and would like to become a certified applicator, you can call our office and make an appointment to take the test at a time that is convenient for you.  You can also drop by our office during office hours to take the test. (Allow at least an hour to take the test)
San Martin office hours are from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. 
San Jose office hours for are from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

** Be advised that your District Biologist is the only person that can issue you your restricted materials permit.   Call your biologist before you take the test if you need your permit right away.

Agricultural Pest Control - apply pesticides to control weeds, gophers, and insect pests on plants, for hire

Before anyone applies pesticides for hire, they must be licensed through the California Department of Pesticide Regulation and must register with our county on an annual basis.  Santa Clara County's registration fee is $50.00 for Pest Control Businesses and $25.00 for Maintenance Gardener Businesses.

Agricultural Pest Control Licenses:  We have applications for Qualified Applicator Licenses, Qualified Applicator Certificates, and Pest Control Advisors at our office.  You can also download the applications from DPR's website.

Structural Pest Control - apply pesticides indoors and around the perimeter of buildings to control pests such as termites, ants, cockroaches, spiders, mice, etc.

Before you apply pesticides for hire, you must be licensed through the Structural Pest Control Board and registered in each county you intend to perform pest control in.  The registration fee in Santa Clara County is $10.00 for Branch 2 & 3 companies and $25.00 for Branch 1 companies.

Structural Applicator Exam:  Santa Clara County no longer offers the structural applicator exam.   The Structural Board now offers Operator, Field Representative, and Applicator exams at official testing centers.   Please visit the Structural Board’s website for details.  


©2023 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.